Movies with Ballroom Dancing:
Take the Lead
Released April, 2006 and now available on dvd. Starring Antonio Banderas and based on the ballroom dancer Pierre Dulaine from New York. You can also check the Internet Movie Database website at Take the Lead for more info.
Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballroom Dancing and Charm School
Critically acclaimed, released in 2005 and available on DVD. Independant film with fascinating characters and a touching story line. Stars Robert Carlyle, Marisa Tomei, Danny DeVito and John Goodman. Click Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballroom Dancing and Charm School for more information.
Mad Hot Ballroom
A 2005 Documentary style film about a ballroom dance program in inner city New York. Film follows the kids as they prepare for the yearly dancing championship. Very entertaining and is available on video. Click for IMBD page on the dance documentary Mad Hot Ballroom.
Shall We Dance
Available on DVD (originally released 2004). Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez star in the remake of the 1997 Japanese original (Shall we Dansu). Watch for the dance competition and studio scenes, some of the Canadian Arthur Murray people are dancing in there. For the Internet Movie Database website click Shall We Dance.
Dance With Me
Dance with me is an older ballroom dance themed movie from 1998 starring Vanessa Williams and Chayanne. There are a number of cameo scenes showing some of the real top level U.S. ballroom studio competitors from that era. For information and ratings on Dance with Me from the Internet Movie Database click Dance With Me.
Strictly Ballroom (1992) was at the forefront of the "mockumentary" trend that became very popular in the 1990's. This film is a spoof on the struggle against authoritarian power. Information on the Internet Movie Database is on this link: Strictly Ballroom.
The Ballroom Dancing Television Shows:
America's Ballroom Challenge
Another in the series from the creators of the "Championship Ballroom Dancing" that ran for many years on PBS. This was the very first professional ballroom dance show to feature all 4 styles of the competitve ballroom dances and is filmed at the Ohio Star Ball in Columbus Ohio, a prestigious competition in US. America's Ballroom Challenge.
Dancing with the Stars
This ballroom dancing TV show is based on the original show in England called "Strictly Come Dancing". It started with a huge following over the summer of 2005 in the United States and Canada [see Popularity of Dancing with the Stars].
The huge success of that original ballroom dancing series has lead to several series, the latest running in the Spring of 2010 starting to air in March. Link to the ABC (American Broadcasting Corporation) webpage for the show [click Dancing with the Stars].
This show first premiered in October of 2005. The premise of this ballroom dancing show has "ordinary" people with a limited time to train entered in a special division at a real life ballroom dancing competition.
Australia vs New Zealand in this dancing challenge show filmed for ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Competing ballroom dance couples were chosen in tryouts to compete for the glory of a win for their country. Official link [click Strictly Dancing].
Strictly Come Dancing
The ballroom dancing show that started it all. It has been hugely popular in the UK over the past few years and uses the same format as "Dancing with the Stars", from the United States, that came after. UK celebrities train for a limited time and then compete in a show dance competition using a panel of judges. Filmed by the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) with information on the official site [click Strictly Come Dancing].
So You Think You Can Dance?
This dance show is filmed by FOX (Fox Broadcasting Company) in the US and has an official website as well [click So You Think You Can Dance].
Ballroom Dancing Related Press Links:
- Arthur Murray teaches dancing to visually impaired - Tampa Bay Times
- Inspiration for Strictly Ballroom movie dies at 85- The Australian
- Use it or Lose it: Dancing makes You Smarter - Stanford.edu
- Parkinsons symptoms mitigated by Ballroom Dancing - The Patriot
- Back to the Ballroom - PostGazette.com
- Original Creator of Mambo as Died - BBC World Service
- Dancing at the ball park - Our Sports Central
- New President for Arthur Murray International - The Miami Herald
- New Olympic hope for Ballroom Dancing? - The Gainsville Sun
- A book on the original Ballroom Dance craze -- circa 1910 - New York Post
- Ballroom dance as healthy obsession - San Francisco Chronicle
- Guys and teens taking up ballroom dancing - Modesto Bee
- Dancing with the stars finale may have 25 million viewers - New York Daily News
- Dance shows on American Television - A History - Houston Chronicle
- Interview with Edyta Sliwinska of Dancing with the Stars - BuddyTV.com
- Dancing a Great Way to Stay in Shape - Edmonton Journal
- Waltz Your Way to a Better Body - Calgary Herald
- NFL Hall-of-Famer Emmit Smith Endorses Arthur Murray - The Money Times
- Romance of Ballroom Dancing a Reality - Deseretnews.com
- "Dancing with the Stars" is just what Canada needs - Regina Leader Post
- Dancing Stars putting in long hours - ABC News
- Taking bets on "Dancing with the Stars" contestant with prosthetic leg - Casino City Times
- "Take the Lead" inner city dance program comes to Canada - Toronto Star
- Men who ballroom dance found more attractive by women - PRWeb News Wire
- Dance Fever - Seattle Post-Intelligencer
- Ballroom Dancing Robot - CNN News
- Ballroom Dancing as Exercize - MSNBC
- Learn Ballroom Dancing - The Telegraph
- Ballroom Dancing Helps Those with Parkinsons - Iowa State Daily
- Can Ballroom Dancing Help Fight Alzheimers - SourceWire